Violent Gang Attacks in Central Brighton Area

The incident of the Castle-Square Assault. Picture: Natasha Linton

Police are investigating what appears to have been a series of connected assaults in the central Brighton area on Saturday morning.

One man, a 23-year-old victim has said he now feels afraid to leave his home following on from the assault. His attack was so severe he was rushed to hospital for a CT scan to check for bleeding on his brain. This attack was one of three incidents within hours of each other during the early hours of Saturday July 9th. A pair of young women were also attacked as well as another young man who suffered fractures to his face following another similar assault.

All three incidents are believed to have been sparked off by the victims refusing drugs from the assailants. One victim, who is to remain anonymous, was approached by two men offering drugs shortly after leaving the popular seafront club Shooshh around 5.20am on Saturday (July 9th). He walked on but was followed by the strangers up the King’s Road Arches ramp before the victim sensed their presence. Upon this realisation he turned back toward the seemingly crowded outside of the nearby club Wah Kiki. This crowd turned out to be a group believed to have been as many as eight strong who rushed to surround the victim and pushing him to floor. He was then hit over the head with a bottle and kicked in the face as he attempted to get back to his feet.

The victim who lives locally, said: “What is confusing is they didn’t take anything. When I read about another incident I worried they could be linked. I hope I can help stop this happening to others by coming forward. I’m still a bit worried about going outside the house but I was quite lucky.”

Just two hours previously police officers were called by paramedics who were attending an emergency in Castle Square. A twenty-year-old man had been hospitalised with severe fractures to his face following an attack by up to five men somewhere in the vicinity of Old Steine and Castle Square. It is believed he too was attacked because he had refused to buy drugs.

In between the two incidents at about 4am, two women (19 and 23) were also offered drugs by a similar size group who had encountered them near the taxi rank at the junction of North and East Street. They were physically and verbally assaulted too when they decline. Drink was poured over them as well as one of the suspects even getting one of the girls in a headlock.

The location of the second attack.

The location of the second attack.

Two 19-year-old men from  Brighton have subsequently been arrested with one taken into custody under two hours after the first attack. This man was arrested on suspicion of causing GBH (grievous bodily harm) with intent. He has since been bailed until October 25th pending further enquiry. A second man was also arrested on suspicion of common assault on the women aforementioned and has been released on bail until August 18th.

Were you out on Friday night/ Saturday morning? Did you see anything that could help find these assailants and put them to justice.

Email 101@sussex.pnn.police.uk

Call 101 (calls cost a flat rate of 15p per call) or 01273 470 101.

Textphone 18001 101.

Minicom 01273 483435 (please note, this is a text only service).

Fax 01273 404577.

Text 07786 208090.

Or alternatively contact crimestoppers anonymously with any relevant information.

https://crimestoppers-uk.org/ or By phone 0800 555 111

 

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*