According to RNLI, around 190 people die in UK waters each year. August is the deadliest month with more people dying at the British and Irish coasts then, than any other month.
This summer they are urging people to ‘Respect The Water’, as the charity is working to halve coastal drownings by 2024.
The charity that saves lives at sea has released these 5 steps to help you float and not drown after falling into cold water:
- Fight your instinct to panic or swim hard.
- Lean back in the water to keep your airway clear.
- Push your stomach up. Extending your arms and legs.
- Gently move your hands and feet to help you float.
- In 60-90 seconds you’ll be able to control your breathing.
If you would like more information on the charity visit their website here.