We all know how hard it can be sometimes to keep our cooking varied and bring something new on the table. Here is a fresh new recipe for a delicious vegetarian couscous broccoli gratin topped with feta cheese.
What you’ll need:
250g of instant couscous
500g broccoli (frozen or fresh, either is good)
2-3 tablespoons of raisins or sultanas
200g crème fraîche
2-3 tablespoons of sunflower seeds
150g of feta cheese (Greek style salad cheese)
salt, pepper, mint (either fresh or dried), herbs
a large deep baking tray and some butter to grease it
Recipe serves four.
How to do:
- Preheat oven to 200°C (fan heat). Grease baking tray with some butter and put aside for later use.
- Put couscous in a bowl and add boiling water (check out cooking instructions for the exact amount of water). Let soak.
- Chop broccoli into little florets and slice up the stalk into thin slices. In a saucepan, get salted water to boil and cook broccoli for 3 – 4 minutes. Drain and put aside
- Stir through the couscous to loosen it up and add raisins and half the crème fraîche to it. Mix well and season with salt, pepper and mint.
- Put the couscous into the tray. Make sure it forms a nice dense base covering the entire tray.
- Over low heat, mix the broccoli with the rest of the crème fraîche and season with salt, pepper and herbs before spreading it on top of the couscous.
- Dice up the feta cheese and spread it over the broccoli.
- Sprinkle with sunflower seeds and put it in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes. Take out as soon as the feta cheese starts to get brown.