As many people say, breakfast is the most important meal of the day! A good breakfast can get your day off to a great start but it can be all too easy with busy schedules and mouths to feed, to forget about looking after yourself. Time to make a nutritious breakfast in the morning is a luxury for most but on those days where you do find yourself with a little extra time, why not try out our simple breakfast hash recipe?
What you’ll need:
- 2 Medium potatoes (diced into good chunks)
- 2 Large tomatoes or a handful of cherry tomatoes (chopped into bitesize pieces)
- 1 Onion (diced)
- 2 Slices of unsmoked back bacon
- 2 Medium eggs
- Basil leaves
- Salt and pepper to season
- Mixed herbs
- Garlic powder
- Drizzle of oil of your choice
(These amounts aim to serve 2, but just alter depending on how many people you’re feeding. This recipe is not about precision!)
- Begin with a large frying with a drizzle of oil in (I used coconut but whatever you have lying around would be fine).
- Put your diced potatoes and onion in the frying pan on a medium heat as these are the things that need the most cooking time.
- Once the potatoes have softened slightly, throw in your tomatoes.
- When you have a nice consistency coming along, move the other ingredients to the side of the pan and fry the bacon (if you want crispy bacon I’d recommend doing this in a separate pan or under the grill).
- Season the hash with a shake of mixed herbs, garlic powder and plenty of paprika! Add salt and pepper accordingly.
- When you’re happy with how your hash is looking, crack the eggs on top of the mixture. This will fry them whilst allowing the herbs and spices to marinate nicely.
- Once the eggs are cooked to your satisfaction, turn off the heat and add basil.
- Serve up, (you could eat this with toast if you like but I just opt for a slightly bigger portion instead), and voila you’re done!