They are the one thing that mustn’t be missing on a traditional afternoon tea table, warm scones served with fresh cream and jam. But how about turning the sweet classic into a savory snack that will make everyone cry for more? Try this amazing cheese scone recipe!
What you’ll need:
225 g of self-raising flour (if you don’t have any, just use normal flour and add a tea spoon of baking powder to it)
55g of butter
150 ml of milk
40g of mature tasty cheddar cheese
a pinch of salt
Recipe makes around 10 scones.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (fan heat).
- In a bowl, mix flour, butter and salt. Make sure the ingredients are well combined.
- Grate the cheddar and add it to the flour and butter mix.
- Add the milk and stir until it turns into a soft dough.
- On a flour-sprinkled surface, knead the dough lightly until smooth.
- With your hands, flatten the dough. You should end up with a round 2cm thick layer.
- Using a round 5cm pastry cutter (alternatively you can also use a glass and cut around it with a knife), stamp out little rounds of dough and place them onto a greased baking tray.
- With a brush, put a little milk on top of the rounds so that they get a nice surface.
- Put in the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until they are golden.
- Let them cool out for a couple of minutes and serve them when they are still slightly warm.
The cheese scones keep fresh in a plastic container for a couple of days. When they start to get a bit dry, simply cut them in halves and enjoy them with a little butter.