Over the past few years, the rise in online gambling has only increased. With adverts for online bingo, betting and all sorts, it can be hard to know whether these sites are worth your time and your money. So we’re here to suss out why online bingo is such a popular phenomenon, how you do it and if it really is any good.
It’s More Sociable
According to the Bingo Association there are actually half as many bingo halls as there once were when the game was at its peak. So what’s changed? Well, apparently playing bingo online can actually be more sociable. Firstly, you don’t have to sit in silence as is the case in most halls across the UK, meaning you can chat with your friends and socialise whilst playing. Secondly, you can make friends in the chat rooms. Obviously we recommend exercising the utmost caution when talking to people online, but if you’re careful you could make a bingo buddy! As well as that, you can actually play alongside your friends online by making games with them. So it does seem that, yes, playing bingo online is a more sociable activity, but is that all there is to it?
Unlike in a bingo hall, playing online is automatic. Traditionally you have to listen out for random numbers between 1 and 90 to be called out. On the other hand, when your number has been called in an online game, the computer will automatically register it for you. That means you won’t miss a thing and can even get on with other tasks in the meantime!
According to a 2013 BBC article, it’s more of a hobby than a way to make money for most people. Being a game of chance, punters are more likely to spend money than win any. Despite this, 50 year old Anita Heffernan said that she would spend up to three hours playing bingo online each evening because “it’s a hobby”. She even claimed that she would “much rather do that [online bingo] than spend a night in town”.
So all in all it seems there are plenty of reasons for favouring online bingo over the traditional type, but surely it’s not as simple as it appears? Well, there are some dos & don’ts when it comes to any kind of gambling, so we’ve checked them out for you…
- Play for fun: Treat it like a hobby, rather than a means of income!
- Follow the rules: This is just true for any game you may play
- Be polite: You’ll be playing online with others, so try not to vent your frustrations too openly
- Learn the lingo: Other players may refer to things using bingo terminology, so do some research if you want to keep up
- Claim bonuses: Most online bingo sites offer bonuses for new players and other things, so keep an eye out to get the most bang for your buck
- Withdraw money: Although you probably shouldn’t become a professional bingo player anytime soon, it wouldn’t hurt sending a little money to your account rather than spending it all on more games!
- Take a break: Hobbies are great, but whatever they are it’s important to take breaks every now and then!
- Overspend: Be sure to bear your budget in mind when participating in any form of online gambling!
- Give out personal info: As with anything, giving out personal information is a no-no
- Refresh the page: When making a withdrawal be sure to avoid the refresh button or you might end up doing it twice!
- Be rude: It’s easy to get competitive when it comes to games but remember, being rude won’t change anything so keep it civil in chat rooms
- Spend all night looking at a screen: As fun as it may be, staring at your phone or PC all night will put a strain on your eyes, so make sure you take regular breaks between games to rest them
For support or information about gambling online click here.
Featured image by Jessica Fiess-Hill