Brighton begins Great British Spring Clean
The Great British spring Clean is part of a nationwide campaign which is organised by Keep Britain Tidy. Starting this Friday, Brighton residents are asked to roll up their sleeves and get their gear on for a month-long major clean-up of the city.
Featured image – Last years Bevenclean
© Brighton and Hove Rangers
Volunteers from the council’s Tidy Up Team, members of Friends Groups and other organisations are getting ready to team up with the council and take part in a month-long programme of events.
Councillor Gill Mitchel, who is the chair of the environment committee has said:
“It’s great to see communities coming together to help organise a packed programme of Great British Spring Clean events to help us tidy up our city – the biggest and best yet!”
“Not only will they be improving the appearance of the city’s parks and open spaces, but encouraging other residents to take more care of their local environment too.”
There are plenty of chances during this Spring Clean month to attend training and become a signed member of the Tidy Up team. Training and induction sessions will be held at the Learning Resource Centre at Hollingdean depot on The 25th of March, and the 13th, 17th and 18th of April.
Here is the list of events, which start this Friday:
- 22nd March – Launch Event. New Road, 10 am – 2 pm.
- 23rd March – Field and woodland litter pick. Surrenden Field, 12 pm – 3 pm.
- 24th March – Litterpick, all tools provided. Whitehawk Hill, 11 am – 1 pm.
- 26th March – Big tidy up. Ladies Mile Nature reserve,11 am – 2 pm.
- 27th March – Learn how to make dog waste bag dispensers.Withdean Park, 11am – 2pm.
- 28th March – Woodland tidy up, all tools provided. Coney Wood, 10am – 1pm.
- 30th March – Woodland tidy up. Hodshrove Woods, 10am – 1pm.
- 30th March – Litter-picking. Three Cornered Copse, 10 am – 1 pm.
- 31st March – Bevenclean number 2. Residents are invited to join city clean staff and councils rangers.
- 1st April – Litter-picking in orchards and meadows. Racehill, 11 am – 1 pm.
- 2nd April – Downland litter-pick. Benfield Hill, 11 am – 2 pm.
- 3rd April – Neaten path edges, tools provided. Blakers Park, 11 am – 2 pm.
- 4th April – Litter-pick with Sussex Wildlife Trust. Stanmer Park, 10 am – 4 pm.
- 5th April – Woodland litter-pick. Craven woods, 11 am – 2 pm.
- 8th April – Pond-pick, wellies are a must. Falmer Pond, 11 am – 2 pm.
- 9th April – Park-tidy. Saltdean Oval, 11 am – 2 pm.
- 10th April – Multi-use track litter-pick. Falmer Road, 10 am – 2pm
- 14th April – Litter-pick, sports teams, community payback, residents and rangers combine. Horsdean Recreation Ground, 10 am – 2 pm.
- 15th April – Woodland litter-pick, with rangers and Friends of Coldean Woods. Coldean Woods, 10.30 am – 1.30 pm.
- 20th April- Hill-pick. Whitehawk Hill, 11 am – 1 pm.
- 21st April – Easter Egg Hunt and Rock Painting. Preston Park, 11 am – 2 pm.
- 22nd April – Make an Eco Brick. Old Steine, 11 am – 2pm.
To sign up for an event, visit the Keep Britain Tidy website.