Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

| January 21, 2019

Scroll to top


No Comments

Free Childcare For 2 Year Olds In Brighton & Hove

Free Childcare For 2 Year Olds In Brighton & Hove
Andrew O'Connor

Some two year olds in Brighton & Hove are now entitled to receive up to 15 hours a week of free childcare, or 570 hours spread across the year. Under the scheme, your child could meet other children, play, learn and have fun, and new parents will no doubt benefit from having some hard earned time to themselves too!

Brighton & Hove city council have released a leafelt that you can access here if you have a little one that you think is eligible for the free childcare.

There are a wide range of childcare services which offer free places that you can choose from, including childminders, childminder nurseries, day nurseries and pre-school playgroups. Take a look at the council’s short film Childminders free for twos for more information.

Once your child is eligible for a place, they stay eligible, even if your circumstances change.


If you receive one or more of the following benefits, your child is entitled to a free place

  • Income Support
  • Income- based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Support through part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act
  • The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • The Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit )
  • Tax credits and have an annual income under £16, 190 before tax
  • Universal Credit

*The Universal Credit eligibility criteria for the two-year-old offer is currently under government consultation. If your child is turning two between January 1st 2018 and March 31st 2018 and you are in receipt of Universal Credit, there may be a delay before we are able to confirm whether your two year old is eligible or not.

 Your two year old can also have a free place if

  • they have a statement of special educational needs (SEN) or an education, health and care plan*
  • they get Disability Living Allowance*
  • they have left the care of the local authority under a special guardianship order, child arrangements order or adoption order *
  • they are looked after by a local authority* (e.g foster care)

* You will need to provide evidence if any of the above apply to you – see application form for details

Your child will be entitled to a free place from the term after their second birthday. You can check if your child is eligible for a place from the beginning of the term when your child turns two.

Child’s birthday falls between

They can start in their place from

1 January to 31 MarchThe beginning of term on or after 1 April
1 April to 31 AugustThe beginning of term on or after 1 September
1 September to 31 DecemberThe beginning of term on or after 1 January

Complete the two year old application form and provide any evidence that we have requested. You can send your evidence to us in any of the following ways:

  • Scan a copy and email to us
  • Photocopy your letter and post to us at;  Freepost FAMILY INFORMATION SERVICE (no stamp required)
  • Contact us and we will arrange a time and place to meet and copy your original documents

If you have more than one child, please complete a separate form for each. We will then check if your child is eligible for a place and let you know.

Our factsheet on two year olds (PDF 593KB) will help you to choose a place to meet your needs and tell you about what to expect when your child starts in their place

If you have any questions, or need help to complete the form, you can call our helpline on 01273 293545 Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.

Submit a Comment