How To: Simply Delicious Gourmet Nachos
Creating interesting and healthy dinners every night can be challenging, especially in the Summer months when you often fancy something a little lighter. Nachos may not scream health, however if you do it right then you might just be surprised. So here’s our recipe for simply delicious gourmet nachos.
What you’ll need:
- 1 bag plain tortilla chips
- 1 chicken leg (shredded)
- 5 ripe tomatoes
- 2 ripe avocados
- one red onion
- 2 radishes (thinly sliced)
- a handful of jalapeños (as many as you fancy really)
- a lime
- bunch of coriander
- a drizzle of vinegar (white wine is best)
- lots of grated cheese (cheddar or monterey jack works best)
- sour cream (optional)
- garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to around gas mark 4 (this will vary depending on your oven).
- While the oven is preheating, start by making the guacamole. Mash up two avocados in a small bowl, mix in 1 chopped tomato and half a diced onion. Add a squeeze of lime, salt to taste and voila it’s as easy as that.
3. Once the guac is made, start to make the salsa. Add the diced tomatoes into another small bowl, mix in the remaining half an onion, chopped up coriander, salt, pepper, garlic powder, vinegar and a squeeze of lime. Combine the ingredients and season more if necessary.
4. Once you’ve prepared the condiments you can move onto layering the nachos. For extra cheesiness, I like to double layer mine. So I create a layer of tortilla chips, add cheese, add more tortilla chips and then focus on the toppings. Firstly, I add the chicken, followed by jalapeños and then I add the thinly sliced radish. Lastly, top with the remaining grated cheese.
5. Before I put the nachos in the oven to cook, I add yet more salt and pepper as well as a small sprinkle of chilli powder.
6. These nachos usually take 10-12 minutes to cook to perfection in my oven, but remember this may vary so keep tabs on them!
7. Once the cheese has melted to perfection, top with your homemade condiments (and a bit of sour cream if you like) and serve!
This recipe is always a winner when I make it and although it takes a little extra time, homemade guacamole and salsa help to make this a lot healthier than it would be! These nachos can be served as a main meal or as an accompaniment, it’s really up to you.