A suspect in Brighton’s cat killing case has been released on police bail for the third time. The 52-year-old man was arrested in June as part of an ongoing investigation into the killing of 25 cats in Brighton.

The suspect was initially detained on June 2nd following the death of a cat near Trafalgar Street. After a police review of CCTV footage, the man was arrested on suspicion of “criminal damage and possession of an offensive weapon in a public place.”

The 52-year-old was released on bail later that same month, until June 28th. He was then re-bailed until August 21st.

The Argus have reported that the suspect has now been re-bailed until September 11th.

Local cat owners have continued to express their distress, and wonder when justice will be served. Brighton Journal previously reported on the case of Brighton-local, Seanin Mouland, who started an online petition following the attempted murder of his cat, Samson.

Seanin is deeply concerned that current policy “renders their attempted murders equable to damage of furniture.” For Seanin, right reform is needed to “ensure these attacks are equable to animal cruelty laws, and give the country the safety and protection it needs.”

Last June, Detective Inspector Chris Thompson recognised the distressing nature of these deaths:

We understand how distressing the deaths of these cats have been to both owners and organisations concerned with animal welfare, and we are determined to establish what has happened to them in order to get answers for owners.

Yesterday, Sussex Police expressed a commitment to the ongoing investigation, as a spokeswoman said:

A 52-year-old man arrested in connection with cat deaths in Brighton has been re-bailed until September 11 for further enquiries.

We are committed to this complex investigation, seeking answers as to how these cats died.

We are following a number of different lines of enquiry, working closely with our colleagues at the Crown Prosecution Service in an effort to achieve justice for the owners of the cats.

Sussex Police continue to encourage anyone with information that could potentially help the case to report online, or call 101 quoting “Operation Divergence”.