Police report weekend round-up Monday, 1 August
Machine gun man sentenced to 11 years after police seizure
Anthony Hearn, 43, of no fixed address, has been imprisoned for 11 years after admitting to possessing a TEC 9mm fully-automatic machine pistol with ammunition in the Hastings area, Hearn was also charged with intent to endanger life or enabling another to do so.
His partner, Tamara Callan, 43, was also initially charged with the same offences but the case against her was eventually discontinued by the CPS.
The pair were initially arrested by Sussex Police officers in Wellington Square, Hastings town centre back in early March. It was upon this arrest that the weapon and ammunition in question were discovered in a car’s footwell that the couple were believed to have been driving. The gun was found in a bag along with a silencer and 16 rounds of ammunition.
The arrest had actually been part of an investigation by Sussex Police into the sale and movement of illegal firearms in Sussex. Armed police officers took part in the operation but no shots were fired.
Detective Superintendent Nick May of Sussex Police’s East Sussex Division said; “The gun seized in this operation is a fully working machine pistol capable of firing up to 900 rounds per minute, a potentially devastating weapon that we have been able to take off the streets of Sussex. It is vital that we continue to receive support from our communities so that we can effectively tackle crime, and take weapons like this off our streets.
Two injured in Brighton seafront scrap
Police have asked for witnesses relating to a fight close to the Shooshh nightclub in Kings Road Arches at around 11.20pm on July (Tuesday) 19. A group who were seen grappling before being spotted by door staff who intervened. One member of door staff sustained arm and stomach injuries during the melee which required stitches. Another 26-year-old man suffered serious facial injuries during the fight which included a broken cheekbone.
Detective Constable Sarah Townsend said: “The fight took place between Shooshh and Coalition nightclubs and is thought to have involved a large group of people. It was a busy time of night and a popular area especially as it was a warm night last week. Did you see what happened?”
One 26-year-old man from London has been questioned regarding his part in the fight with police arresting him upon suspicion of GBH and affray. He has been bailed until August 30 while investigations continue.
Man wanted by police in connection with Bevendean sex attack
Police have released pictures of a man they want to speak to following an attempted rape of a woman as she walked home in Brighton a fortnight ago. Police have released three CCTV stills of a man whom they want to trace and interview.
The stills show the man in question on a N25 night bus travelling between North Street to the Lewes Road junction with The Avenue around 1am on Thursday (21 July).
Described as a white man, 5’5″, clothed in a dark trousers and light grey hoody the man had followed the 20-year old woman as she made her way home down Aukland Drive, Bevendean a little while after 1.30am on Thursday (21 July). It’s believed the woman had got off the same bus.
The man in question had jumped on the victim but her scream scared him off. The suspect had actually chosen the girls own address to finally jump on the girl as she entered the garden. Luckily the victim was unhurt with nothing stolen but understandably left shaken.
Detective Inspector Lee Horner said; “It is still an isolated incident. There have been no previous reports of anything similar to this in the area, or indeed in Brighton recently, and we want to identify and talk to this man as we feel he may have valuable information.”
Connection between two early-morning Brighton street robberies?
Detectives looking into two street robberies last Tuesday (26 July) may have found a connection between the two incidents. Both robberies occurred around 12.30am in the Gloucester/Trafalgar Street area of the city and in both incident the victims were men walking home from work alone.
Both men, one 24, and the other a 33-year-old sustained bruising to the face with the latter receiving hospital treatment. In both incidents the suspects were two men accompanied by on one occasion a single woman and the other a pair of woman.
Both victims were surrounded and made to hand over valuables which included an iPad, mobile phone, wallet and a driving licence. All the suspects were described as white with one man described as early 20s, 5’11” t0 6’4″, medium build, clean shaven with short light brown hair. The second man was dressed in black.
One woman was in her early 20s, 5’10”, of medium build, with long blonde hair and wearing a white dress. There was no description for the second woman.