Tips For Maintaining Gut Health
Gut health is so important not only for your digestive system but also for your immune system as it largely controls your overall health. From physical health to mood and mental wellbeing, it is so important you look after your body inside. Thats why we have some tips to help you maintain a healthy gut…
- Eat more fibre – Slowly introduce higher amounts of fibre into your diet as if you suddenly increase it you may experience bloating and wind. When increasing your fibre be sure to drink lots of water.
- Eat a diverse range of plant based foods as they help to fertilise the existing gut bacteria and encourage a diverse community of microbes.
- It may be a good idea to start taking probiotic supplements such as yoghurt, or even encapsulated pills as they will survive in the stomach longer. These contain live good bacteria and encourage it to grow.
- Stay away from antibiotics as much as possible, they not all kill all the bad bacteria they also kill the good which is often why women get yeast infections whilst or after taking antibiotics as there is no good bacteria to keep their body balanced.
- The reason everyone is crazy about kombucha at the moment is because it is so good for your gut health as all fermented foods are!
- Eat less refined sugar as it promotes the growth of bad bacteria, can imbalance your hormones and cause weight gain and bloating.
- Supporting your gut, means supporting your lifestyle and that means living a well balanced stress free life. I know that is pretty difficult but you can stay stress free through meditation, exercise, laughter etc…
- Eat on a schedule and stay away from bad habits like smoking and caffeine and alcohol as they can all interfere with your gut health.
- A good way to stay aware of what you are eating is to keep a food journal if you have time, then you will be sure not to eat extra sugar if you know you have already had a cookie today and will maybe reach for a piece of fruit instead or even a yoghurt!