Top 5 Ways To Get Fit Without Spending A Penny
Summer is finally here so it’s the perfect time to work on feeling good in yourself. If you don’t fancy spending your time in a claustrophobic, stuffy room also known as the gym, what is there to do? Well, there are plenty of other options to increase fitness levels without any of the costs, especially having Brighton beach on your doorstep. Here’s a bit of Monday motivation for you…
1. BEACH SPRINTS are a great way to get fit, whether you’re sprinting between lampposts or up and down the pebbles along the beach. An advanced way to increase fitness levels would be to set goals between each interval and time your speed.
2. SWIMMING IN THE SEA = Whether it’s swimming in circles or all the way to the pier and back, swimming activates every part of the body. Not only is swimming an all-around benefit for fitness and muscle building, swimming in the sea removes toxins from the skin and replenishes it with minerals.
3. SKIPPING is a fun way to improve your fitness, it conditions your muscles and improves hand eye coordination. It has also been said that 10 minutes of skipping can have the same health benefits as a 45 minute run. The beach promenade has a flat surface, making it the perfect place for skipping.
4. CIRCUIT TRAINING = Why not set up a circuit in Preston Park? Include multiple stations with different activities such as burpees, bench step ups and weighted squats (could use baked bean cans as weights or rocks from the beach). This work out is best when training with friends.
5. ROLLERBLADING = shake up your normal routine and pick rollerblades over the treadmill, it keeps you engaged in your exercise and is a lot more fun. Rollerblading builds upper leg muscles, hips and lower back muscles, whilst increasing balance and control. Why not rollerblade through the North lanes? It’s quicker and is a work out without having to make a conscious effort.
Top training tips:
- Always warm up and cool down
- Make sure your feet are supported with the right type of trainers
- Be safe in the sun, wear sun cream and cover up
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water during AND after exercise
- Train with friends, encourage each other!
Written By Lana Byrnes