Wednesday Lunchtime Recitals – St Nicholas Church
This is a lovely, intimate setting to hear a whole host of Baroque, Classical and Romantic pieces every Wednesday lunchtime. Spend your lunchtime here and take a moment to yourself in the midst of a hectic day. There is tea, coffee and biscuits available and a friendly, community atmosphere. At only £3 minimum donation for entry its a very reasonable event.
I attended a performance by pianist Joe Ward and soprano Beatrice Monaco, both of whom demonstrated real virtuosity. It was ideal for me, as someone with little knowledge of classical music, as the performance featured a range of composers and a colourful mixture of moods. These were all introduced to the audience by the performers, who also gave a little of the pieces’ surrounding context.
‘There is a tradition of good music at St Nicholas’ and a series of lunchtime recitals are held in the Church every Wednesday at 12:30pm lasting for 45 minutes. A minimum donation of £3.00 towards recital expenses is appreciated. The recitals provide a perfect break for you to have your lunch and relax before heading back to work. Please bring your own sandwiches. Tea and Coffee is available for a donation.’
The Spring programme is as follows:
- 21 March. Jane Plessner (clarinet) and Nicola Grunberg (piano). Works by Arnold, Seiber, Finzi and Brahms.
- 28 March. Ingrid Cusido (piano). Works by Mozart, Beethoven and Brahms.
- 4 April. Gemma Kateb (piano). Works inspired by folk song by Mompou, Chopin Ginastera and Mendelssohn.
- 11 April. Ashworth and Rattenbury Guitars. Works by Mozart, Rameau, Granados and Machado.
- 18 April. Helen Vidovich (flute) and Olga Stezhko (piano). Works by French Impressionists including Debussy and Bozza.
- 25 April. Luca Luciano (clarinet). Presenting original material from Luciano’s latest album – works by Messiaen and Stravinsky.
- 2 May. Sohyun Park (piano). Story telling in the ballades of Liszt and Chopin.
- 9 May. Georgios Vardakis (piano). Works including Schubert piano sonata and Skalkottas suite.
- 16 May. Brighton Festival Recital – Les Kapsbergirls early music quartet, playing 17th and 18th century music from the French court. NB concert begins at 1pm; tickets available through the Brighton Festival website, or on the door: £10.
- 23 May. Meera Maharaj (piano) – programme tbc.
- 30 May. Michele Roszak (mezzo soprano) and Lynda Spinney (piano). Music in May: lively spring songs from England and Europe.