Here are some of the indicators I spotted for Wednesday, October 4, taken directly from my correspondent’s notebook:
- JPMorgan cuts its price target for Meta Platforms (META) to $400 per share from $425. Maintains Overweight (Buy) rating. Capital remains high. Advertising must excel. META is a stock in the CNBC Investing Club portfolio.
- Bank of America raises its price target on Club Alphabet (GOOGL) to $146 per share from $142, citing a 91% search market share.
- Club name electric vehicle sales Ford (F) rose 14.8% in the third quarter. Total sales up 7.7% Truck sales up 15.3% Barclays sees an increase in demand for electric vehicles among consumers concerned about rising gas prices.
- Barclays cut price targets for Rails: CSX (CSX), Norfolk Southern (NSC), and United Pacific (UNP). Citi beats all the airlines in an overall way for target price reductions: American (AAL), Delta Air Lines (DAL), Southwest (LUV), and United (UAL).
- United is ordering a lot of additional Boeing (BA) and Airbus planes.
- Cuts price target for PepsiCo (PEP) to $179 from $198 at Barclays on margin concerns. But they can be okay.
- RBC Capital maintains an Outperform (Buy) rating and $460 price target on Domino’s Pizza (DPZ). Modernization efforts will succeed. Meanwhile, Loop Capital expects Papa John’s (PZZA) to recover.
- Condiment maker McCormick (MKC) estimates were cut by Bank of America based on gross margin pressure. Fears of a decline in trade. Increased debt. Bank of America also cut its price target for MKC to $86 per share from $100. Stifel is much more negative, cutting PT to $70 from $82. I talked on Tuesday about how McCormick is starting to look attractive at these lower levels.
- Kitchenware designer Lifetime Brands (LCUT) upgraded to stop selling at Wells Fargo. Analysts believe that the company’s performance is good, or at least better than people think.
- The price target for Kohl’s (KSS) was cut to $28 per share from $33 at TD Cowen. Analysts say they like the new CEO.
- Fluor (FLR) was upgraded to Buy from Neutral at UBS. The transformation is not complete yet, but it is getting closer. Quantitatively stronger pipeline in engineering and construction company.
- Another silly defense: Loop says it bought cloud company Snowflake (SNOW) because of AI.
- Mizuho sees Coinbase (COIN) missing quarterly revenue estimates by 10%. Analysts see a drought in retail cryptocurrency trading.
- Bank of America raises its price target on Molson Coors (TAP) stock to $72 per share from $70. Wells Fargo also raised its price target on TAP to $65. The club is owned by Mexican beer giant Constellation Brands (STZ), which is reporting a quarter before the opening bell on Thursday.
- Chipotle Mexican Grill’s (CMG) price target was cut to $2,225 per share from Oppenheimer’s $2,300. Great price action.
“Web maven. Infuriatingly humble beer geek. Bacon fanatic. Typical creator. Music expert.”