King Charles and Kate Middleton announced their respective surgeries just hours apart – yet the Princess of Wales chose to keep details of her procedure under wraps while the King was an open book.
While Middleton's “planned” abdominal procedure was not revealed until after it had already been performed, the head of the British monarchy felt the need to give people a warning so they wouldn't jump to conclusions about his hospitalization.
“It made sense to be more open about this, otherwise people would have thought the worst,” a palace insider said. He told people Thursday.
Buckingham Palace announced on January 17 — one day after Middleton's “successful” surgery — that His Royal Highness, 75, had “requested treatment for an enlarged prostate” and would undergo surgery the following week.
They assured the King's fans that “His Majesty's condition is benign” and that he would just be admitted for “corrective action.”
The palace also noted that an enlarged prostate is “common in thousands of men every year,” which is another reason Charles spoke out.
The king reportedly wanted to inspire other men to consult their doctors about any looming medical problems – and it seems his plan worked.
According to the UK's National Health Service, Charles' announcement last week led to a 1,061 percent increase in searches for enlarged prostate on their site. website.
According to medical expertsAn enlarged prostate — or benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) — affects about 80 percent of men over the age of 70.
While it's unclear exactly when Charles will be scheduled for surgery, he has temporarily postponed several of his upcoming public engagements.
Like Charles, Middleton will also step back from the public eye while she recovers.
Royals fans will also want to know:
The mother-of-three, 42, was told to remain in hospital for “ten to fourteen days” after the procedure, meaning she will be released in the coming days.
However, Middleton is also expected to require three months of recovery time at home and is “unlikely to return to public duties until after Easter.”
Although the former Duchess of Cambridge has asked for her medical information to remain “private”, her long recovery period has raised concerns as the palace has not yet revealed the nature of her condition.
While Page Six was told the undisclosed problem was non-cancerous, the surgery was also described as “major”.
It was also reported that those close to the Princess of Wales had no idea that she was dealing with any kind of medical issue before announcing it to the world.
According to People, “there was no indication that anything was wrong” with Middleton, who appeared at several royal events over the holidays.
Sources told the outlet that the “carefully guarded” news “came as a surprise” to her loved ones and those who “work closely” with her.
The announcement came as such a shock that even her estranged brother-in-law, Prince Harry, and sister-in-law, Meghan Markle, reached out.
They also noted that the couple “have contacted both parties in various ways to express their concerns and best wishes.”
Despite the looming questions, Middleton encouraged people to “preserve as much normalcy for her children as possible.”
“Freelance entrepreneur. Communicator. Gamer. Explorer. Pop culture practitioner.”