February 28, 2024

Brighton Journal

Complete News World

An 8-year-old boy died of brain-eating amoeba while swimming in a river

An 8-year-old boy died of brain-eating amoeba while swimming in a river

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed on Friday A boy from Nebraska has died due to an infection A brain-eating amoebaAfter swimming in a river near Omaha.

Health officials believe the boy contracted the infection on Sunday swam On the Elkhorn River, a few miles west of Omaha. Authorities have not released the girl’s name.

An important one Source of infection is water. People usually become infected when water containing amoeba enters their body through their nostrils while swimming or diving. Lakes and rivers. Other sources of infection have also been identified Tap water Pollution in Houston in 2020.

read more: He swam in a lake and contracted a brain-eating amoeba, and now he’s fighting for his life

Brain-eating amoeba is fatal in 97% of cases. (Photo: International Society for Infectious Diseases). (Photo: Kateryna Kon/Shutterstock)

This is about Second death Registered in North Central AmericaIn recent weeks, for Meningitis Primary amoebic infection is a commonly fatal infection caused by an amoeba, Naegleria folarii Death in 97% of cases reported.

Last month, A Missouri resident dies After swimming in the Lake of the Three Fires in southwest Iowa because of the same outbreak, state officials closed the lake’s shores for nearly three weeks as a precaution.

Symptoms include: Fever, headache, nausea and vomiting Later, severe symptoms such as stiff neck, loss of balance, hallucinations and seizures appear.

I also read: A boy infected with a “brain-eating” amoeba on the beach has been admitted to the hospital’s intensive care unit.

Brain-eating amoeba: 430 cases worldwide

in the middle 1962 and 2021 They said 154 cases in the US And only Four patients survived, according to data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Only about them are documented 430 cases worldwide.

See also  4 members of Iran's Revolutionary Guards were killed in an airstrike in Damascus

In AmericaAmoeba infections are common Southern StatesBecause microbes thrive Water temperature above 30 degrees. however, In recent yearsAlso found to be infected Northincluding two cases in Minnesota since 2010, said Dr. Lindsay Huse, Douglas County health director.

I also read: Boy dies of ‘brain-eating’ amoeba at water park

In ArgentinaCaused by amoeba Death of an eight-year-old boy After the boy swims in a lake First case In this country.

In SpainIn early 2018, a ten-year-old girl who contracted amoeba in a municipal swimming pool survived the parasitic infection.