December 8, 2023

Brighton Journal

Complete News World

Admission to the Pantheon in Rome is now free

Admission to the Pantheon in Rome is now free
(Roberta Dragon/Wikimedia Commons)

Agrippa’s Pantheon, one of Italy’s most visited monuments, will no longer be free from July 1 and will start charging to visit it. 5 eurosToday the Italian Minister of Culture explained, Gennaro Sangiuliano.

Sangiuliano explained that the money collected will go to the soup kitchens and will be used to face restoration and maintenance work on the building and create a museum in the back. “It’s an ethical cause, if something has value, you should pay for it,” he added.

There has been debate over the years whether to pay for entrance to the monument, one of the few free in the Eternal City, but this has always been ruled out since the Pantheon became the Church of Santa María de los Martyres. It is also the church of the Italian kings.

This may interest you: Italy imposes heavy fines on those who damage its cultural heritage

However, the new Italian government, now at the helmr Georgia MeloniA consensus has been reached with the Diocese of Rome and the city council of the Italian capital.

70% of the profits collected from ticket sales will go to the Ministry of Culture, which is responsible for its cleaning and conservation, and the remaining 30% will go to the coffers of the Roman Diocese, which will allocate a portion. Income for charities and other temples.

70% of the profits from ticket sales will go to the Ministry of Culture (FE/EPA/FABIO FRUSTACI)

People considered by Italy’s museums and monuments, such as under-18s and the disabled, are exempt from paying the fee, while other groups, such as young people under 25, do. Reduced entry fee of 2 euros.

See also  Austria warns of danger of a major blackout | The government insists on saving people

For its part, access to worship and religious activities will continue to be free, as will religious workers and lay workers, including the guards of the royal tombs housed in the Pantheon.

The Pantheon, which remains practically intact despite its two-thousand-year history, was the result of the emperor Hadrian’s conversion between AD 118 and 125 to a temple dedicated to the gods, and was built by the general Marco Agrippa between AD 25 and 27.

This may interest you: Italy has recovered 750 archaeological “treasures” looted by a famous English merchant.

In 608 AD, Pope Boniface IV converted the building into a Christian temple with the remains of numerous martyrs.

Located in the heart of the Eternal City, it is one of the main attractions for tourists based on its monument, tall dome and its location.

In addition, it houses the tombs of important figures such as the Renaissance painter Raphael and the kings of Italy Victor Emmanuel II, his son and successor Umberto I of Savoy and his wife Margherita.

Continue reading

Italian justice recognizes the right to the image of its cultural heritage
Botticelli’s Venus is controversial in Italy as an influence