Manchester United will face Harry Kane’s new Bayern Munich team in the 2023-24 Champions League group stage, while Newcastle United will face Paris Saint-Germain.
United, who beat Bayern in the 1999 final, will play Copenhagen and Galatasaray in Group A, while defending champion Manchester City will face Razen Pal Sport Leipzig, Red Star Belgrade and Young Boys in Group G.
Paris Saint-Germain, Borussia Dortmund and AC Milan are drawn into heavyweight Group F, along with Newcastle United – returning to the competition for the first time in two decades.
The 32 teams from four pots were drawn into eight groups at a ceremony in Monaco, with teams from the same country unable to face each other until the knockout rounds.
Real Madrid, who won the title 14 times, will face Napoli, Braga and Union Berlin, while Barcelona were drawn with Porto, Shakhtar Donetsk and Antwerp.
The group stage runs from September to December, and UEFA is due to confirm the full fixture list and kick-off times by Saturday morning at the latest.
Wembley Stadium in London will host the final on June 1, 2024.
Complete UEFA Champions League kits
Group A: Bayern Munich, Manchester United, Copenhagen, Galatasaray
Group B: Seville, Arsenal, Eindhoven, Lens
Group C: Napoli, Real Madrid, Braga, Union Berlin
Group D: Benfica, Inter Milan, Red Bull Salzburg, Real Sociedad
Group E: Feyenoord, Atletico Madrid, Lazio, Celtic
Sixth group: Paris Saint-Germain, Borussia Dortmund, Milan, Newcastle United
Group G: Manchester City, Leipzig, Red Star Belgrade, Young Boys
Group H: Barcelona, Porto, Shakhtar Donetsk, Antwerp
When are the group stage matches in the Champions League?
The full schedule of matches will be confirmed in due course.
- Fixture 1: 19/20 September 2023
- Fixture 2: 3/4 October 2023
- Fixture 3: 24/25 October 2023
- Fixture 4: 7/8 November 2023
- Fixture 5: 28/29 November 2023
- Fixture 6: 12/13 December 2023
How is the group stage in the Champions League going?
The teams in each group play each other twice, home and away, and the top two teams advance to the round of 16.
The third-placed teams in each group move on to the preliminary rounds of the Europa League, where they will face the runners-up of the Europa League group for a place in the round of 16 of that competition.
Other key dates for the 2023-24 UEFA Champions League
- The draw for the round of 16: December 18, 2023
- Round of 16 first leg: 13, 14, 20 and 21 February 2024
- Round of 16, second leg: 5, 6, 12 and 13 March 2024
- Quarter-final and semi-final draw: March 15, 2024
- Quarter-final go: 9 and 10 April 2024
- Quarter-final second leg: 16 and 17 April 2024
- Semi-final go: April 30, 2024 and May 1, 2024
- Semi-final return match: May 7, 2024 and May 8, 2024
- last: June 1, 2024
(Photo: Getty Images)
“Devoted travel trailblazer. Freelance beer scholar. Passionate analyst. Hardcore twitter fanatic.”